Sunday, August 21, 2011

Saving Luna

So I moved into a new house. Yes I bought my first house. I have a great roommate, Dennis, who has been a pretty good friend of mine for 5 years. My boyfriend, Ryan, and I recently broke up and while it hurt the house and the responsibility of it all has made me whole again. I have the best friends and family also. They really helped through the entire move and the full break up. The break up was not an amicable one, even though it may have been portrayed that way face to face. See the last year of Ryan's life was a secret to me. He had started working 2nd shift (at our company it was a 2nd-3rd shift gig) about 2 years ago and I basically never saw him. This past year he also picked up a 2nd job. So one day a week I spent some time with the man that I thought that I was building a future with. Turns out...he was snorting heroin and spending all of his money. He was arrested, admitted to detox, then went into rehab. In rehab, he met this heroin addict and decided she was a better fit for him. He left me one week before the closing of the house and resulted to injecting heroin. So after this turn of events and living in a new house (let's prelude that he was stealing my stuff and selling it while we lived together, pretty sure he robbed my parents house and stole from my best friend) I decided, with the blessing of Dennis (Again the roommate) to adopt a large dog that could protect the house. 
Luna...Luna Belle, Lil Luna, Luna Bo Buna, Luney Tune...came home yesterday. And boy this crazy cattle dog is already a handful. Yesterday she was so scared she pee peed on her new bed. She has never been leash walked so every time I tried to take her out the front door she hid at the kitchen island. She basically slept all day long. She cried anytime I left the room and she could not see me. She basically resisted all basic commands. When we had to take her outside to go to the bathroom we had to pick her up. We gave her a rawhide because her foster mom said she loved them. Oh yeah she does, so much that she growled at Hunter , my first dog. No rawhides unless she is alone is out first rule. But truth be told this morning is a little better...She woke up and was happy to see me and Dennis. I am saying this is good because she recognizes us. She went right outside to the bathroom this morning. She came in had some breakfast and started crying by the dining room door. When she started circling I realized she had to go again. Dennis picked her up and carried her outside. Hopefully she figures out the right door for outside (however now we know) :). She has started to sit. That is a good sign. She lets me touch her paws and she lets me brush her coat. I do like that. She is not too interested in Moka , my cat. That is good. Ryan brought home a pit bull at the end of our relationship and it traumatized Moka. 
I know that I gave her a better home than she had. She was in a foster with 21 other dogs. There was a lack of attention and a lack of training there totally. She has 2 people around that love her and care for her and she does not need to compete around here with a house of 3 animals. 
I will keep this going on Luna's progress. I am going to get her training going full swing this week. 3 -15 minute sessions a day on the basic commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment